- 1997 – Child advocates meet to plan a children’s museum in Brownsville
- 1998 – Conceptual exhibits are planned for exhibit.
- 1999 – The Children’s Museum of Brownsville is legally incorporated and received a 501 © (3) status from the IRS
- 2000 – Renovation of Dean Porter Park begins
- 2002 – Capital Campaign is launched to raise funds for exhibits and start up fees. Museum opens an office and information center at Amigoland Mall. Super Saturday Morning Workshops begin at the museum office and information center
- 2005 – Grand Opening of the Children’s Museum of Brownsville in March!
- 2008 – Awarded Promising Practice Award by Met Life and Association of Children’s Museum
- 2010, 2013, 2014 – Voted Favorite Museum by Brownsville Herald’s Readers Choice Award
- 2015 – National Gold Medal Finalists by the Institute of Museum and Library Services